2009-09-23 / Community

News Around Us

Bainbridge - A man wielding a gun attempted to rob a Bainbridge convenience store Saturday night, threatening the store's employees before leaving empty-handed.

Saturday's attempted robbery was the most recent in a string of violent crimes at convenience stores. This time, the robber took along a bystander with him inside the Junior Mall at 417 South Scott Street, where the attempted robbery took place around 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

The bystander told Public Safety officers he was sitting outside when the suspect walked up from the north side of the store, pressed a handgun in his back, grabbed him and forced him to open the store's front door. Once inside, the suspect demanded cash from the store's registers. However, when the store's clerks told the suspect they had no money to hand over, he racked the slide action on the handgun, as if preparing to fire.

Instead, the suspect fled out of the store on foot. Another witness who had driven up to the store and encountered the bystander chased after the suspect in his car but lost sight of him.

Witnesses described the suspect as a darkskinned male who wore a burgundy hooded style jacket, a dark blue ski mask, dark colored pants and gloves.

Blakely - Chamber president Hilary Halford officially announced to the chamber board Monday that she had accepted a position at Andrew College in Cuthbert.

"They made me an offer I couldn't refuse," Halford said during the monthly chamber board meeting. "But, I'm not going anywhere. I will remain here in Early County and will be a chamber member."

She will resume the duties at Andrew College's Director of Development next week.

Halford has served as chamber president since February 2008, returning to her native Early County from Salisbury, NC, where she had been employed by the Housing Authority. "Thank you for bringing me back home," she told the board, noting that the chamber opportunity afforded her a chance to return home.

Cairo - A man arrested last week is accused of molesting a young boy here in recent months, and investigators are wondering if there are other victims. While investigating the case against Charles Henry Brock, officers with the Grady County Sheriff's Office and GBI found another male who said Brock molested him 15 years ago.

Investigators began looking into the case on Tuesday of last week when the most recent victim told a relative about his alleged molestation, which is said to have happened over a period of months at Brock's home.

On Friday, investigators questioned Brock, 50, then took him into custody, charging him with child molestation, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sodomy, and enticing a child for indecent purposes.

Investigators say if there are other molestation victims their information would help in this case.

Dawson - Dawson police arrested two Dawson men early Sunday morning, September 13, on drug related and other charges, Dawson Public Safety Director Charlie Whitehead reported this week.

Chief Whitehead identified the two men as Quantey T. Sapp, 27, and Carlos M. Johnson, 29, both of Dawson addresses.

According to Chief Whitehead, Mr. Sapp was charged with one count of possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance and one felony count of theft by receiving stolen property, while Johnson was charged with one count of purchase, possession, or have under control any controlled substance (cocaine) and one count of possession of marijuana (less than one ounce).

Chief Whitehead said officers executed a search warrant at a Cedar Street Apartment in Dawson ,and both Sapp and Johnson were inside the residence. Both men were taken to jail.

Return to top